Friday, August 15, 2008

MarioTV : Episode 6 : Pantera

This episode is sponsored in part by : Mario Frassetto.

I could never fully understand why Mario liked Pantera so much. For him, they just stuck. They were a staple among his collection and someone he spoke of on a semi-regular basis. And then one day he turned me on to a few of their songs before I was off to the gym and that was that. I mean, what did I know about real heavy metal? Not that much. But when you need to release a little tension, Pantera can easily provide the vessel in which to do so. Not to mention the fact that Mario had a lot of respect for people who really rocked out hard - bands who would go out on stage and/or fans that would show up in the crowd and consume every last drop of energy in order to help fuel the performance. Mario could very easily be classified as one of these individuals. That was fun for him.

Super was really bummed out for a spell when guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott was shot and killed during a performance with the band "Damageplan" in an Ohio Club. I think for him, bumping in to Vinnie Paul (Dimebag's brother and the drummer of the following bands) at The Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas was that much better because of Pantera's disintegration following the death of Darrell. Considering the fact that he was a fan of Pantera, Damageplan, AND Hellyeah, it must have been sweet.

There was a time about 2 years ago when I went to a pub not too far from where Mario and Jeff lived in Chandler to meet up with a couple girls who were in town for the night (upon recommendation from another friend). Mario came along because I figured at the very least he'd chat them up or we could bail if it was really lame and go somewhere else. That, and the girl I was meeting up with was a little flighty - I didn't really want to go in the first place because she hardly ever followed through on plans (from what I was told). She was down from Portland so I figured what the heck, I'll sit down for a bit. Thannnnnnnk goodness that Mario was there too, because the conversation was going nowhere quick - and a member of their group was a HUGE Pantera fan (he had a big tattoo on his shoulder) - from the exact moment Pantera got thrown out onto the table Mario and him drove the conversation around talking about various Pantera-like things, and before I knew it time was up. Everyone just sat and listened, and I got out of my awkward hour without saying more than 20 words.


Pantera : Walk





In memory of Mario Frassetto. This crowd surf is for you...

No comments: