Saturday, August 23, 2008

Stealth Bike



Super decided one day that he wanted to paint his bike, of course Super-style with a few cans of spray paint. Although I knew he had painted a bike before (taking the royal blue of the R6 down to a more matte blue), I’m thinking ‘good luck man, that shit never turns out the way you want it to.’

We headed out to get paint, combing through the various kinds, trying to pick one that would work best for his plan. I asked Super why he didn't just get some auto paint; it’ll do the job. Because I want it to look a specific way - I know how I want it. No arguments from me. Now, you all know that Super’s bike was his main mode of transportation, so finding a space of a couple days where he could do without it so he could properly paint it was the tough part - I offered up my car, so the problem was solved.

He was very meticulous in sealing and taping off the parts, sanding down his fairings, etc. so I was thinking that maybe that shit would turn out. He pulled out a chemical paint stripper and began to slap that crap on his tank. Not long after, it was looking like a gooey mess. Slightly mocking him, “that crap is fucking it all up, you’re going to be riding a big lump of shit in the end.” Shut up Chaucer, that’s how the stuff works - I'm obviously not done with it yet. So I waited through the next couple of days, watching the progression from a cracked-paint and somewhat-faded blue bike to a crisp and freshly painted black one.

I asked Super why he didn't put a coat of finishing gloss on the pain instead of keeping it matte black to protect it from the sun and the abuse of riding. Cause I want it to look like a Stealth Bike. Again, no arguments from me. So, I went from thinking that he’d be riding a clown bike with the paint job that will transpire, to thinking that it looked pretty fucking sweet…a look that only Super would have. In fact, people often came up to him and asked him what his bike was, with no Yamaha logos visible and many after-market parts, no doubt thinking it was some model they hadn’t seen…maybe even some new Ducati design. That’s one thing that was great about Super, he’d have a picture in his head of how it should be and he figured out a way to get it done right.

An old picture of how it looked- taken a good year or two prior to re-painting at “Bobby’s” (A story referring to “Bobby” probably to come at sometime in the future)



WTF Super - it looks like a big pile of shit!



Well…MAYbe it will turn out…




O.K., I’ll shut up now…



-Jeffy Chaucer
(as editted by Justin, 'cause Chaucer makes 8th grade writing skills look good.)

No comments: