Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Super : : Envision

It didn't take me long to realize what I wanted to do as a small rememberance of Mario once things settled down a little bit. Obviously I enjoy the blog and I visit it daily, but I wanted to be able to take something with me to remind me of the memories. Jeff and I are planning on tattoos, but that's all we're willing to say for now. It's a secret.....sort of. Look for that post around the first week of 2009.

Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I have a thing for sunglasses. There is a long winded story behind that, if you really want to know feel free to ask. Mario always made fun of me for not only owning multiple pairs but for wearing them too; he'd repeatedly call me names or comment on how he'd never spend that much on sunglasses. I'd just end up breaking them, man. Bag that. I'll wear some cheapies for $10. Of course, if you've been following along with some of my blog posts you'll notice I mentioned Mario finally stopped being a silly sally and popped for a couple nice pairs of glasses. Who do you think influenced him? Mmmhmm.

When I think about something Mario-like I often find myself thinking of his flowery tattoo, the one he had on his right shoulder. In my mind, the greens, blues, yellow, greys, and black stood out the most. For some reason I don't picture the red background, just the colors of the earth. Notice any trends in my blog posts? Good, that means you've been paying attention :)

These arrived today, custom ordered to my request. I had Super::Envision etched in to the bottom left hand corner of the lenses. I chose emerald green lenses for a couple reasons. The color for one, reminds me a lot of Mario's flower tattoo. Depending on the angle and lighting you get greens, blues, and yellows, against the grey frame. I also wanted a highly reflective color because I enjoy taking pictures of various locations through the reflection of my sunglass lens - producing a mirror image of the scene as if the viewer were standing nearby looking toward my eyes. Emerald green happens to be one of the lightest and most reflective lenses, so I'm looking forward to getting some great pictures, perhaps against a fiery red sunset out here in the desert. Green was an easy pick too because I don't own these lenses in any of my other sunglasses. These ones are the most unique. I chose a smoke grey frame instead of the polished black frame because they are translucent, making them more transparent against the light. At night they will look almost black, and during the day, depending on the light, they'll vary from dark grey to medium grey. Again, a lot like the central and largest flower on Mario's shoulder. They are 1 of 1, like Super. When I get the opportunity to snap my own reflective picture, I'll be sure to bring it in here. You'll see a couple pictures below that match that reflective technique I like so much.

I rotate my glasses every single day depending on, well, lots of things. I'll be wearing these tomorrow for sure. Every time I reach for them I'll get that little Mario vision through my eyes. Hopefully I'll be able to glance back at a funny memory of him being the smart-alecky guy he was, the tattoo, and the good times. There are plenty to choose from...











In memory of Mr. Mario Frassetto, a guy who wore fake $10 Oakleys for a few months (correction, a couple weeks!) before he broke them too...

5 comments:

autumn said...

Sweet shades, dude. I like that your accessories will remind you of him.

Justin said...

Thanks. Mario didn't seem like much of a handbag type of guy, so the glasses will have to do for now. Besides, I don't carry a handbag. That's something Jeff would do. He'd call it a "man-purse" or claim it was European or something.

Haha!

Chaucer said...

Yeah, my pink handbag is my favorite.
I like the last line of the post...he loved those fake Oakleys that I brought back from the Flipside - well, for the few weeks he had them.

Chaucer said...

Wanted to see if my new pic shows.

I HATE the Red Wings...this is for you Super.

Justin said...

He only had those Oakleys for a few weeks? Damn, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Nice new picture by the way - remind me, who won the Stanley Cup this year?