Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"The Best Game Ever"

Its New Year's day 2007, which for me meant a college football extravaganza. I had tickets to the Fiesta Bowl later that day, and had made sure that I didn't hit it too hard the night before. That was not the case for the other two that were to accompany me. They decided that to give their tickets away, which was cool, but I was left with no one to go to the game with and a short as notice.

Super had put up with me watching (and yelling at) the TV every Saturday all fall, and the fact that he had never been to a major bowl game, he was going. We found another that actually had went to Boise State (Jasen...see post number two); they were facing Oklahoma and in spite of being undefeated, were pretty big under dogs. We all did a quite bit of pre-game drinking - in the parking lot, at a bar called the Yard House - yeah, you can buy a half yard worth of beer that naturally comes in a giant fucking glass - and continued with the $9 a cup shit beer inside.

Now, Super and I really didn't give two shits who was to win the game - I had no money riding and Super only mildly followed what had happened during the season since I pretty much forced it upon him by default, so we cheered for the underdog Boise State, along with Jasen who actually had a reason to cheer for them. We were surrounded by Sooner fans from every which way, and when Oklahoma had the lead, no one really cared that we were the only voices of descent. Well, that changed when Boise State started making a game of it. Super of course was the loudest. He even came up with a chant - Boomer Sooner, better than later - that really was getting under the skin of the Oklahoma fans to a point that they started saying shit under their breaths...this one dude was rearing up to knock the fuck out of Super...but of course he would have been jumped instantly. Fucking Sooner fans. They didn't get it that all we wanted was a good, close game which we got. After a crazy 4th quarter and overtime where some fucking incredible and ballsy plays by Boise State happened right in front of us where we were sitting - we were fortunate to have witnessed one of the best games ever live right before our eyes. After that, I got Super hooked to going to the big bowl games, but we never witnessed such a game like we did that one unplanned, thrown-together-at-the-last-minute day.







(Yeah, that's Super in the middle of the pack slapping hands with Boise State fans after the game...like he'd be anywhere else)

In memory of Mario "the Boomer Sooner" Frassetto

2 comments:

Justin said...

To this day I can't believe I missed the greatest College Football Bowl game in history. I'm still pissy about it...

Anonymous said...

When I snapped that picture I didn't even realize Mario was in the crowd. I remember that evening like it happened last night. I remember literally picking Mario up when Boise ran the trick play to get the two-point conversion. And yes, I remember those jerk-off Sooner fans cursing under their breathes at Mario's "Boomer Sooner, better than later." Great memory that we'll both have for the rest of our lives...