Friday, October 17, 2008

Swishing, Smiling.... Always on my Mind.

Last night I opened a new bottle of Listerine. The “whitening” kind, but a new and improved formula. It was on the shelf at Target right next to the now outdated whitening formula, but it cost a dollar more and had a different label. As I stood at the bathroom sink swishing, I thought, “Oooh, I’ve gotta tell Mario about this stuff!”

And that’s how it happens. In a flash. Daily. Some little thing like mouthwash makes me think of him. Mario: always buying the “new” product – toothpaste, conditioner, lotion, juice, frozen food, you name it. Mario, the professional consumer. Mario, the constant entertainer. Mario, the adventurous cook, the thoughtful guy or the wild friend….

You see, the old mouthwash was really foamy in your mouth…. This new one still has the wonderful whitening properties, but your cheeks don’t get all full of foam and puffed out, causing you to have to spit out some of it before continuing to swish.

Maybe it’s strange: the thing that bothers me most is the stupid little things that I know he would have liked that he never got to see. A movie I saw the preview for. The Mudvayne album coming out I know he would have been excited about. The mouthwash. The recipe I just know he would have wanted to try. Even things like new businesses opening and old ones closing. I guess it kind of bothers me that the world continues on, even though his life doesn't….

Maybe some day I’ll be able to see a slender guy on a motorcycle in traffic and not have a certain feeling that it is Mario. Maybe eventually the urge to follow him “just to make sure” will fade. Maybe a day will come when I don’t think about him every day. I can tell you that day is a long, long time from now….

No comments: